Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Food Storage Challenge update


I should have chosen a shorter month not to shop for food... like February. I never, ever thought I would crave salad. Last week, my neighbor, who knew about my challenge, was so sweet and brought over a head of lettuce and a tomato. I ate them w/o dressing! Tasted so yummy. That satisifed me for a few days.

Saturday we went to the temple and drove with our neighbors and the wife asked my husband, "So Troy, how are you liking Food Storage Month?" He didn't even know what she was talking about. I explained what I had been doing and he said he hadn't even noticed! Wa-ha-ha. Of course, he goes out to eat for lunch every day and honestly, he's not so good at noticing changes. Still love him though. :)

Then today I started CRAVING salad again. That and crunchy cucumbers, carrots (which we had just run out of) and what I wouldn't give for a fresh crisp gala apple... Guess it didn't help that I was watching Twilight. So I thought, "why am I doing this again?" I KNOW I have enough to survive but do I have to deprive myself? No. So I decided to jump into April early. Too bad I don't have an indoor garden. I bought some fruit trees and plan to start another square foot garden this summer. I think I'll try the challenge again in the middle of the summer. It was making me nervous having a fridge that was only 1/4 full. I learned I have a bit of OCD when it comes to having things stocked.

I love Costco... *sigh* So what food do you think you wouldn't be able to live without?

2 comments:

  1. I'd have a hard time with your challenge. I think half my grocery budget goes to fresh produce and milk. Some things like apples and maybe oranges I could stretch for a month but bananas, grapes, salad and real milk. We go through almost four gallons a week. I would never give up fresh milk, I'd drink plain water if I couldn't have milk. But to really answer your question, I can't live without cheese, doesn't matter what kind. I just love cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are used to drinking powdered milk and we had a lot of canned & frozen fruits & veggies. I like cheese too - we buy the huge block at Costco then shred most of it and slice some of it and put in the freezer for later.

    ReplyDelete