Sunday, December 20, 2009

Baby Sewing Projects

Can I just start by saying it is so much fun planning for a baby girl? I'm a little giddy at the moment. Here's my list of things to sew:

*Mei Tai pronounced may-tie. The last one I made was gender neutral but it would be nice to have something that screams "GIRL!" I want to add a hood, pocket and have it rounded at the top since my last one didn't have those features. Here's the one I have now that was a lifesaver (and a workout) when we hiked last summer: (half the time he fell asleep) *Quilt & burps. I found some cute pink "bubble" fabric that's so soft and cuddly.

*Carseat cover (basically a blanket that attaches to the handle part) Below is the tutorial but I'll add flowers where it attaches to the handles and jumbo rick-rack around the hem. You use a whole yard for each side. http://awednesdayafternoon.blogspot.com/2009/04/summertime-car-seat-cover.html

*Slipcover for the actual carseat. I found a used one for $30 yesterday - see below. (They are still selling it at Walmart for $150 - score!) The dark brown matches the fabric perfectly so I'm just changing the pattern part. Took me awhile to cut (no pattern) and pin (we had canned soup that night for dinner... at 8pm) but I'll hopefully get it sewn in today. Here are before and after shots: *Nursing cover with boning - done! I made it reversible and did ties instead of D-rings. I'm not that well endowed so I adjusted the boning to 12 inches that way it's not gaping open for EVERYONE to see but I can peek & baby can still breathe. http://www.shannonmakesstuff.blogspot.com/2009/04/nursing-cover-tutorial.html

*Coordinating diaper bag. I like the tie on the nursing cover to I'll add that to the bag handle. I have a secret bag-craving. If I wasn't married, half my closet would be full of different bags.

*Might make a reversible wrap carrier. These truly are the most comfortable and versatile but it's tricky getting it wrapped on w/o getting the tails dirty. I just need to find some brown jersey knit for a decent price (use a w/ a coupon) and it won't take me more than 15 minutes to "decorate" it. Check out http://www.etsy.com/shop/loveyduds She has beautiful designs in case you don't want to make one yourself.

*Last but not least, I need to make a white blessing dress and crochet a blessing afghan. I'm thinking lavender would be pretty.

3 comments:

  1. Whew...i'm tired already...Hmmmm...do I get all this stuff if I have a GIRL too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute Karen! I love all the stuff you've made in preparation for you new little one, especially your new car seat cover, nursing cover and matching bag. Darling fabric you chose. You are super talented, and I admire your many abilities. You go girl! -Donya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misty - I'd be happy to make one of the items for you. :) If I end up having a boy by mistake (after 2 girl ultrasounds) you'll be getting a large package in the mail.

    Thanks Donya - I knew you'd appreciate the fabric - it's "Amy Butler for Rowan" in her Lotus line that you can still find online but not in shops anymore. It's the only designer fabric I just HAD to have.

    ReplyDelete